The application form for 2024 Plumas Cal-TREX is now open through March 1st. Apply HERE
Dates: April 29 – May 4th (optional Pack Test and Fireline Refresher on April 28)
Location: Greenville, CA
This year our TREX is formatted a bit differently than previous years’:
- April 28th: RT-130 (Fireline Refresher) and Arduous Work Capacity Test (Pack Test) – OPTIONAL
- April 29th – May 4th: 6 days straight of learning, networking, hands-on training, and hopefully live fire if weather allows. – CORE TREX EVENT
- Potential NWCG and other non-standardized fire course offerings later in the spring and summer. – OPTIONAL
- On-call burning opportunities to help support the Forest Service, PBAs, and other types of prescribed burning. – OPTIONAL
We are asking participants to pay a $175 fee which will cover campsites and food for one week:
The campsite will have potable water, outdoor showers, and sites for tent camping. You must bring your own camping gear.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will be provided. We recommend you bring your own supplementary snacks or non-perishable food items if you think you will need them. There is no refrigeration available on-site.
Burning opportunities will be prioritized during the Core TREX Event (April 29 – May 4th), based on local weather conditions. Participants should expect the potential of no live fire if weather is unfavorable. There will be training activities throughout the week, even if no live fire occurs.
- If an opportunity to burn with the Plumas National Forest arises, only folks with Wildland Firefighter Type II (FFT2) qualifications, or equivalent will be able to attend. FFT2 equivalence – NWCG courses S-130, S-190, L-180; FEMA courses IS-100 and IS-700; and current Pack Test and RT-130. Need clarification? Email Logan Krahenbuhl.
- If private lands burning opportunities arise anyone will be able to attend, unless the landowner asks practitioners to have minimum certs mentioned above.
We will be able to support up to 50 participants. Applications will be considered from anyone that applies, but preference will go to Plumas County residents first and foremost.
Full or partial scholarships are available courtesy of Healthy Forest Alliance and Rich Carvalho!
If you do not think you can afford the $175, please apply and we will figure out ways to offset costs through scholarships or otherwise.
Please spread the word to anyone you think would be interested!